Subject: Re: PAR is now WORKING!!!
From: [email-masked] (Brian Dady)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 00:29:34 -0700

----------- included message follows: ------------

	YES.. YES .. YES YES YES!!!!!!

	My PAR is now working properly with the Segate 5850A drive!! I'm 
just watching an anim I did  while I'm writing this message... It's 
awsome!!! Tomorrow, I have to try out the TBC-IV and capture some video 
footage, and play around... I think I have found a toy here, which will 
last me for quite a while now...(I hope)

	And thanx to all who have helped me in the search to a WORKING 
drive for my PAR...

						  Adrian Onsen
						[email-masked]
-------------- end included message -----------------

Adrian, 

You must have just gotten lucky!  According to DPS, the Seagate 5850A
has not been qualified.  However, since it of the same series as some
of the approved drives, I would have expected it to work.  I got lucky
too.  After buying the one and only Micropolis 2217A from my favorite
local periperals dealer, I was very disappointed it did not work.  I've
been told there are sometimes problems with the 2217A's fresh from the
box.  Anyway, in response to some questions about the Micropolis,
Scott Bennett of DPS also mentioned a newly qualified Quantum 1.1 Gig
drive.  The Quantum QM31080FB-A has a block limit of 300!  Sounded hot
to me so I bought one.  At $300 I could by two of these instead of one
2217A priced at $600.  I would have more storage capacity AND higher
performance.  I've always been impressed with the reliability of 
Quantum drives (and they are local, to me anyway).  Since I just got
the PAR and it is the only drive I've used with it, I have no basis
for comparison, but a 300 block limit is impressive, isn't it?  The
DMA write PARtest indicated 6.35 Mb/sec.  I don't recall the read time,
but I think this drive is an excellent value.

I am thinking of purchasing another of these if two can be used.  It
appears that two drives can be connected to the PAR, one as master/one
as slave.  I would assume I just need to get an IDE cable with one more
connector on it and set the jumpers appropriately.  It looks like it
would be possible to stack two of them in an Amiga floppy drive bay.
They are only 7/8" high and run very cool.  Even running the "cleanup"
disk reorganizing PAR selection, moving a 500M file which has the drive
running full speed for several minutes, does not make it warm.  Contrast
this with my 540Meg Maxtor which is ALWAYS hot to the touch even when
idle.

So, for PAR users out there the Quantum Fireball series is HOT! (pun
intended).  If anyone has connected two drives to their PAR, I would
like to hear about it.

As an aside, from all the problems I've been reading about on the lists
about PC problems and Flyer problems, I feel pretty good about my
recent purchase of a second 040/A2000 system.  I bought the system
with a PAR and TBC IV for $2000.  Now if Newtek will just come through
with the Amiga render module for LW4.0 as a part of the Toaster 4.0
package...   I have only one Toaster, and hope not to be required to
buy a second lightwave package to be able to render on one Amiga and
model/render on the other.  Its only fair since the other platforms
get (same platform) render modules included in LW4.0.

-Brian					Video Magic --*
 
--
[email-masked] (Brian Dady) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]